Herman L. Horn has begun using their incredible STEM Lab stocked full of all sorts of great things for students. One such thing is Osmos! The STEM Lab has 30 sets of Osmos for student use and a variety of different apps and hands on pieces to be used with them.
Early Learning Sets
- Squiggle – use with Sticks and Rings (5 sets)
- ABCs – use with Sticks and Rings (5 sets)
- Costume Party – use with Costume Pieces (5 sets)
- Stories – use with Costume Pieces (5 sets)
- Monster – Use with whiteboards or paper and pencil
- Numbers Toybox – Use with Numbers tiles (30 sets)
- Words Edu – use with letter tiles (30 sets)
- Newton – use with whiteboards or paper and pencil
- Numbers Edu – use with Numbers tiles (30 sets)
- Tangram Edu – use with Tangram pieces (30 sets)
- Masterpiece – use with whiteboards or paper and pencil
Tips and Tricks
- Keep hands and fingers away from the pieces after placing them so that Osmo can see it.
- Keep the reflector centered along the top edge of your device so the camera can see the play space.
- Keep the pieces close to your device so the camera can see them.
- Play Osmo Tangram in a well-lit room. If your tabletop or surface is a dark color, it may be interfering with the software detection.
- Try placing an 8.5 x 11 sheet of white paper on the tabletop, and then put the pieces on top of the paper.
- Use whiteboards for Newton.
Check out this link from the Osmo for Schools website for more information for teachers – https://schools.playosmo.com/resources
Here’s the handout from the inservice: